The old saying goes, “You can’t have your cake and eat it too.” But who doesn’t love cake, and who doesn’t like having it all? As a busy professional, it’s natural to strive for both a successful career and a meaningful personal life. Here are some of our top tips to achieve a healthy work/life balance that will have you slicing that cake and serving it up – over and over.
- Define Success. Make a list of the things you want personally and professionally and take a real look at the things (and moments) that bring you happiness. When you understand your personal vision of success you can then set attainable goals and work towards them.
- Prioritize Your Responsibilities. Identifying critical tasks and obligations will streamline your day/week/month. Before leaving the office, make a to-do list for the following day so that you arrive at work with a keen understanding of the tasks to accomplish and can manage your time appropriately.
- Take a Work Tech Timeout. Answering work calls and emails while you’re at home may seem like smart multitasking, but it ultimately steals your personal and family time and undermines your personal success. Don’t do it unless it’s absolutely critical to achieving the big goals.
- Use Your PTO! Working long hours, racking up overtime and the constant pressure of “making it happen” can be hard on the mind and body. Use your paid time off to rest, unwind and spend time with family and friends. PTO does a body good!
- Work Smarter, Not Harder. Ask your employer about telecommuting a few days of the week or changing your work week to four days of longer hours.The anxiety that traffic and the work commute create is tangible, and if you’re good at focusing on work matters while not in the office, a change of venue and the time you gain from the absence of the commute can be life-changing.
- Identify Your Support System. At work and in your personal life, it’s important to know who you can count on. If you’re feeling overworked or overwhelmed, reach out to colleagues, HR, friends or family to get back on track.
At Nook, we know that your individual success is both your company’s and family’s success. Take these tips to heart and stick to them. It’s time you had your cake and ate it too!
Make it, at Deondo.